This is the best of The Recipe Detective – a unique collection of nearly 1,000 imitations of her famous make-at-home recipes for replicating fast foods, restaurant dishes and grocery products. In addition, Gloria includes historical information, illustrations and photographs – along with her usual wit, food-for-thought and humorous stories.
* Special notes: Printing formats of this book changed over the years. Examples: The 11th printing, February 1990, used the 5.5” x 8.5” layout, with 120 pages and has over 400 recipes listed; copies priced at $7.00 each. The 16th printing, November 1995, used the 8.5” x 11” format – with the 120 pages of the last format laid out sideways on 60 larger pages, at 2 pages per page, with almost 400 recipes listed; copies priced at $7.50 each.
**This cookbook was Gloria’s personal favorite of all the ones she’s written. It was recently re-written by Gloria and her daughter, Laura (Pitzer) Emerich and is currently (2018) published by Balboa Press under the title, “Gloria Pitzer’s Cookbook – The Best of the Recipe Detective”. Available, for sale, at $20.99 each (also, available on eBook for $3.99 each)…see: https://www.balboapress.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-001062252
- Sub-Title: Famous Foods from Famous Places – The Best of the Recipe Detective
- Printings**: 16
- Years**: 1982 – November 1995
- Recipes*: over 700 listed in the original format, 472 in the smaller versions
- Pages & Sizes*: 400 in the original 6″ x 9″ format; 120 in the smaller 5.5″ x 8.5″ format & 60 in the 8.5″ x 11″ version of that one.
- Price* **: $15 for the Original, $7 for the 5.5″ x 8.5″ format & $7.50 for the 8.5″ x 11″ format
- Used copies on eBay: $35.95 for original format; $45 for smaller format
- Used copies on Amazon: $34.77
- ISBN: unknown
- Self Published No longer in print: Gloria Pitzer’s Secret Recipes
- Published: Balboa Press 2018