This cookbook is sometimes referred to as “Book 2” or the “Green Book”. Over the many printings, the cover was changed slightly [as was the size and price of the book]. The original title read “Second Helping of Secret Recipes – of Fast Foods and Other Favorites”; while, in later printings, it was shortened to, “Second Helping of Secret Recipes”. The masthead of “Secret Recipe Report” was later changed to, simply, “Cookbook”.
This book was actually the result of a much needed vacation my parents took from their business. They stayed at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island where they just so happened to be filming “Somewhere in Time” with Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour, and Christopher Plummer. My parents were lucky enough to meet the three movie stars at breakfast one morning; and, while Mom was smitten with Christopher Plummer, in the back of her head she was already taking notes for what would become a special section of this cookbook – about the elegant dishes served at the Grand Hotel.
- Printings: 25+
- Years: July 1977 – ?
- Recipes: 166 listed originally; 209 in the new size
- Pages: 80 originally; 52 in the new size
- Size: 5.5″ x 8.5″ originally; 8.5″ x 11″ was the new size
- Cover: Paperback
- Original Price: $3.00; new size sold for $5
- Used copies on eBay: $10.51
- Used copies on Amazon: $13.99
- ISBN: unknown
- No longer in print
- Self-Published: Gloria Pitzer’s Secret Recipes