Sara Lee’s-style Carrot Square Cake
From Gloria Pitzer’s Secret Fast-Food Recipes Cookbook (1985)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 6 oz. Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Carrots (grated fine)
- 1 cup Walnuts (well-chopped)
- 1/2 cup Light Raisins (optional)
Cream Cheese Icing
- 6 oz. Cream Cheese (softened)
- 1/4 lbs. Butter
- 1 lbs. Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Orange Extract
- 1 tsp Spice Island Orange Peel
- 1 Tbsp Light Corn Syrup (or Pancake Syrup)
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch (or Flour)
- Combine first 8 ingredients with electric mixer on medium-high. Beat 3 minutes scraping down sides of bowl often. Remove beaters. Stir in last 3 ingredients. Grease and flour 9″ square pan. Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F about 50 minutes. Cool in pan about 30 minutes. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting and sprinkle with additional walnuts.
- Cream the cream cheese with the butter until light and fluffy, using med-high speed of electric mixer. Add half of the sugar, increasing speed to high. Add extract and peel and beat about 1 minute.
- Scrape down sides of bowl often. Resume beating adding remaining powdered sugar. Beat smooth. Frost sides and top of cake.
About Sara Lee’s®
Sara Lee, often known for the long-running slogan “Nobody doesn’t like Sara Lee” is often misquoted as “Nobody does it like Sara Lee”. As companies go, so do theme lines. In 2006, Sara Lee announced a new company wide campaign: “the joy of eating.” The campaign was part of a restructuring of operations.
Today, Sara Lee sells food, beverage and household products in over 180 countries and has some 50,000 employees worldwide.
For more information, check out www.SaraLee.com It has a variety of information including nutrition, their history, and what’s new.